NEW: Price Valuations   

Add Reply

Page 3 of 3  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

30th Jul 2024, 1:21 AM#41  REPORT  
Redpunk

Crates Are For Digging
Member since Aug 2012
24902 Points
The trouble with 78's and maybe the same for other records is the valuation added to this site is normally the one record that sells for a silly price and ignores the fact that the other 100 put up for sale of the same record had no bids.

30th Jul 2024, 12:54 PM#42  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
Redpunk wrote:
The trouble with 78's and maybe the same for other records is the valuation added to this site is normally the one record that sells for a silly price and ignores the fact that the other 100 put up for sale of the same record had no bids.

The value for the Elvis 78 fluctuated a little bit as I added the different sold prices, though it ended up being quite similar to what was already there. I’d be surprised if there had been any copies listed which had no bids. That might be the case with other rare records which are less in demand.

Unfortunately Popsike doesn’t show records with no bids. Another flaw is that it doesn’t tell you the sold price if a Best Offer has been accepted.

The previous number 1 hit before that Elvis record was The Day the Rains Came by Jane Morgan, which is worth far less. Only a few sold copies on Discogs sales history and none on Popsike. The threshold for the latter seems to be $20 (£15.57 at present rates).

2nd Aug 2024, 3:03 PM#43  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
The minimum threshold of £15 for items sold on Popsike could skew the values a little. It will only show sales above that amount, so if the item has sold frequently at under that price, it won’t be recorded. eBay itself only shows sold listings going back a few months when you search, as far as I can tell.

2nd Aug 2024, 3:27 PM#44  REPORT  
Redpunk

Crates Are For Digging
Member since Aug 2012
24902 Points
That's why I find Discogs sales info a better indicator as it shows high/low and average value.

2nd Aug 2024, 7:36 PM#45  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
Redpunk wrote:
That's why I find Discogs sales info a better indicator as it shows high/low and average value.

I don’t think some items are sold as much on Discogs. 78s being a good example. For other media it might be a good guide.

One problem with Discogs is that it has no “Ex” grading, which this site uses (along with other dealers).

Edited by mister_tmg on 2nd Aug 2024, 7:42 PM

6th Aug 2024, 1:35 AM#46  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
I think I submitted some “best offer” prices as valuations, in which Popsike just shows the initial price crossed out, and states a lower price was accepted. I added the initial price, which is obviously unreliable. These valuations may have been deleted by the moderators - I hope so! In such cases, it seems best to just ignore the valuation.

8th Aug 2024, 10:12 PM#47  REPORT  
sladesounds

Turning rebellion into money since 1962
Member since Nov 2009
6544 Points
mister_tmg wrote:

One problem with Discogs is that it has no “Ex” grading, which this site uses (along with other dealers).

I compare their NM grading to EX.

14th Aug 2024, 12:37 AM#48  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
Apparently the valuations are only calculated from the last five years, but this doesn’t seem to be the case if there’s nothing in the last five years?

15th Aug 2024, 7:34 PM#49  REPORT  
carryonsidney

a happy disposition is an omnious sign....
Member since Feb 2010
1698 Points
That will be a problem for 78s as their heyday has passed for most record dealers?

15th Aug 2024, 11:07 PM#50  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
carryonsidney wrote:
That will be a problem for 78s as their heyday has passed for most record dealers?
They still sell on eBay though.

Some rarer 78s haven’t sold on Popsike in the last five years. So in those cases this site’s valuations tool seems to work differently when the data is inputted.

Page 3 of 3  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

Add Reply

45cat Forums  :  45worlds Forums  : 

45worlds website ©2024  :  Homepage  :  Search  :  Sitemap  :  Help Page  :  Privacy  :  Terms  :  Contact  :  Share This Page  :  Like us on Facebook
Vinyl Albums  :  Live Music  :  78 RPM  :  CD Albums  :  CD Singles  :  12" Singles  :  7" Singles  :  Tape Media  :  Classical Music  :  Music Memorabilia  :  Cinema  :  TV Series  :  DVD & Blu-ray  :  Magazines  :  Books  :  Video Games  :  Create Your Own World
Latest  »  Items  :  Comments  :  Price Guide  :  Reviews  :  Ratings  :  Images  :  Lists  :  Videos  :  Tags  :  Collected  :  Wanted  :  Top 50  :  Random
45worlds for music, movies, books etc  :  45cat for 7" singles  :  45spaces for hundreds more worlds