26th May 2024, 10:09 AM#21  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
Many thanks for this and taking all the trouble to help
mister_tmg wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Was just wondering if there was anything happening about the Turner Layton sides that you mentioned you may be able to obtain.......
mister_tmg wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Yes .....Most enjoyable.......
mister_tmg wrote:
It should work now!

Thank you!

Yes I picked them up from a fellow member who attended the meeting. I will endeavour to get them transferred in the next month, and scan the labels for this site.

28th May 2024, 1:49 AM#22  REPORT  
Juke Jules SUBS

Tell me he's lazy, tell me he's slow
Member since Jan 2011
4119 Points
Very well delivered talk and essential listening for anyone interested in the popular music of the post-war years.Your mention of "Feet Up" reminded me of Yeah Yeah Yeah by Bob Stanley, who regards this same period as representing a low point in the years of recorded music. and which explains why I found no interest in popular music until the birth of Rock'n'Roll (did Luxembourg have a Hit Parade?) And then you played "Doggie" - oh spare us!

The discussion of equalisation interested me, but I don't understand why your omitting to use any playback equalisation resulted in excessive bass and far too little treble.

I look forward to your next illustrated talk.

28th May 2024, 2:49 AM#23  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
Thanks for your comments, which I appreciate. Personally, I love this period of pop music and think it’s been unfairly maligned, perhaps because of what came after. Radio Luxembourg played the sheet music charts from around 1948.

I can’t say I really know much about the playback side of things, but the turntable was operated by Bill Dudman, who mentioned RIAA. Funnily enough, a fellow attendee did remark to me afterwards about there being too much bass. He said the records sounded like they were being played on a Dansette!

It would be great to do another talk soon, but in the meantime, there are three others by me available at the link posted.

31st May 2024, 8:37 PM#24  REPORT  
Pridesale

Member since Mar 2013
789 Points
JJ if you look at internet archive they have a number of 78s recorded to digital in different formats and mention sometimes the EQ kind of settings used. It does seem on YT that the best (Westinghouse recorded) 78 reproduction is with a steel (or even fibre) needle and either a horn or the "black box" internal horn/bass resonator mechanical rather than electronic reproduction systems. My father built a bass enhancing amp chassis after we took an amp out of a radiogram using very unscientific lenghts of plywood which is quite interesting to use as a reproduction in small rooms on mono discs. ( the bass resonators also double up as handles when moving it ).

JJ it is a pity Radio Normandie got destroyed effectively by WW2 as that may have reflected a different choice of music. The BBC was also affected by Needle Time, using instead in the 1950s significant "live" or recorded for BBC output and always seemed to be orientated toward "light orchestral" Eric Coates and similar tuneage even over the 1950s British "Pop" singers. It is almost strange that I have a bit of a collection gap "1950-1955" in all formats - given they came from relatives I stick with the fact for them they were not buying discs, they were out at the dances at the dance halls twice a week, at church twice on Sundays, and singing in light choirs twice a week too (Gilbert and Sullivan + Handels Messiah every Christmas) with my uncle buying London 45s of the US hitmakers as his preference

Edited by Pridesale on 31st May 2024, 8:45 PM

Page 2 of 2  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

Add Reply

45cat Forums  :  45worlds Forums  : 

45worlds website ©2024  :  Homepage  :  Search  :  Sitemap  :  Help Page  :  Privacy  :  Terms  :  Contact  :  Share This Page  :  Like us on Facebook
Vinyl Albums  :  Live Music  :  78 RPM  :  CD Albums  :  CD Singles  :  12" Singles  :  7" Singles  :  Tape Media  :  Classical Music  :  Music Memorabilia  :  Cinema  :  TV Series  :  DVD & Blu-ray  :  Magazines  :  Books  :  Video Games  :  Create Your Own World
Latest  »  Items  :  Comments  :  Price Guide  :  Reviews  :  Ratings  :  Images  :  Lists  :  Videos  :  Tags  :  Collected  :  Wanted  :  Top 50  :  Random
45worlds for music, movies, books etc  :  45cat for 7" singles  :  45spaces for hundreds more worlds