Billy Cotton "What Do We Care"   

Add Reply

Page 2 of 3  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

17th Jun 2024, 2:59 PM#21  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
I KNEW You'd be right !!!!!!.................Many thanks........My checks are continuing, I'm at numb 325 now.
er
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I need a check on Number 275....Joe Loss "Only Forever" HMV BD 5647......The label says " with vocal chorus" and you have it on your spread sheet as vocalist Paula Green but when I play it I get Sam Browne(Male)........

After a bit of detective work, I suspect the version you have is not by Joe Loss, but actually by The Organ, The Dance Band & Me! There seems to have been a digital album release which has included a track wrongly credited to Joe Loss with Sam Browne [see this youtube video). The organ and piano-heavy accompaniment suggested to me it was a Billy Thorburn band and indeed it is the same track that's elsewhere credited to The Organ, The Dance Band & Me (see e.g. this youtube video).

Unfortunately digital-only releases are often quite sloppy when it comes to providing accurate information (although to be fair I've come across many CDs with mis-attributed titles and vocalists etc.). Here they got both the band and the vocalist wrong - it's not even Sam Browne singing, it's Alan Kane!

I've extracted an mp3 with the Joe Loss / Paula Green version from one of Alan Dell's old Dance Band Days radio programmes. I'll send if over to you.

17th Jun 2024, 7:29 PM#22  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
I've got the Bernard Miles track as just "Over The Gate"....It also says that on the label
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I need a check on Number 275....Joe Loss "Only Forever" HMV BD 5647......The label says " with vocal chorus" and you have it on your spread sheet as vocalist Paula Green but when I play it I get Sam Browne(Male)........

After a bit of detective work, I suspect the version you have is not by Joe Loss, but actually by The Organ, The Dance Band & Me! There seems to have been a digital album release which has included a track wrongly credited to Joe Loss with Sam Browne [see this youtube video). The organ and piano-heavy accompaniment suggested to me it was a Billy Thorburn band and indeed it is the same track that's elsewhere credited to The Organ, The Dance Band & Me (see e.g. this youtube video).

Unfortunately digital-only releases are often quite sloppy when it comes to providing accurate information (although to be fair I've come across many CDs with mis-attributed titles and vocalists etc.). Here they got both the band and the vocalist wrong - it's not even Sam Browne singing, it's Alan Kane!

I've extracted an mp3 with the Joe Loss / Paula Green version from one of Alan Dell's old Dance Band Days radio programmes. I'll send if over to you.

17th Jun 2024, 8:15 PM#23  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
Richard Tauber's two entries with "You Are My Heart's Delight" are the same recording but with just different catalogue numbers......Should this not fall into the category of re-entries...........I wonder why on your spreadsheet Adelaide Hall gets a mention for No. 442
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:

Edited by Mike Wilson1 on 17th Jun 2024, 8:45 PM

17th Jun 2024, 9:02 PM#24  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I've got the Bernard Miles track as just "Over The Gate"....It also says that on the label.
Yes, it is just "Over The Gate". I do have the correct title in column W of the spreadsheet.
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Richard Tauber's two entries with "You Are My Heart's Delight" are the same recording but with just different catalogue numbers......Should this not fall into the category of re-entries.
That's a tricky one. I suppose if you're only thinking of recordings, then it should indeed just be a re-entry, but it was a different record that people were buying, with a different B side.
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I wonder why on your spreadsheet Adelaide Hall gets a mention for No. 442.
The reason that she appears in column O is because that column is faithfully reproducing what is in the book, which for some reason credited the record to Adelaide Hall (with a slightly wrong title)! The corrected artist (The Squadronaires) is in column S and T.

18th Jun 2024, 11:29 AM#25  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
Celia Lipton "How About You"......is John Singer not quoted as a vocalist on this track ?
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I've got the Bernard Miles track as just "Over The Gate"....It also says that on the label.
Yes, it is just "Over The Gate". I do have the correct title in column W of the spreadsheet.
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Richard Tauber's two entries with "You Are My Heart's Delight" are the same recording but with just different catalogue numbers......Should this not fall into the category of re-entries.
That's a tricky one. I suppose if you're only thinking of recordings, then it should indeed just be a re-entry, but it was a different record that people were buying, with a different B side.
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I wonder why on your spreadsheet Adelaide Hall gets a mention for No. 442.
The reason that she appears in column O is because that column is faithfully reproducing what is in the book, which for some reason credited the record to Adelaide Hall (with a slightly wrong title)! The corrected artist (The Squadronaires) is in column S and T.

18th Jun 2024, 12:14 PM#26  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Celia Lipton "How About You"......is John Singer not quoted as a vocalist on this track ?
Yes, looks like you're right. I don't have a picture of the record, but the Jun-42 Parlophone supplement states a duet with John Singer (only on "How About You" - the other side "I Don't Want To Walk Without You" is a solo). I've never heard of John Singer, but he looks to have been a relatively well-known actor. I suspect this was his only appearance on a record. Perhaps he was appearing with Celia Lipton in a theatre production at the time.

18th Jun 2024, 1:32 PM#27  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
On Bob Crosby's "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree" on Decca F8158......I have the vocalists as Bob Crosby & The Quartet
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Yes, looks like you're right. I don't have a picture of the record, but the Jun-42 Parlophone supplement states a duet with John Singer (only on "How About You" - the other side "I Don't Want To Walk Without You" is a solo). I've never heard of John Singer, but he looks to have been a relatively well-known actor. I suspect this was his only appearance on a record. Perhaps he was appearing with Celia Lipton in a theatre production at the time.

18th Jun 2024, 4:58 PM#28  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
On Bob Crosby's "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree" on Decca F8158......I have the vocalists as Bob Crosby & The Quartet
I didn't note down un-named vocal groups when I was putting the spreadsheet together, so I've just got Bob Crosby as the vocal. The label does indeed say "& Quartet". Probably something I should address at some point.

18th Jun 2024, 5:09 PM#29  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
Just played all the songs from Number 1 to 600.......So much information I didn't have.....Much appreciated.......Hope I'm not bothering you or being too picky.....It's usual for you to be spot on correct
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
I didn't note down un-named vocal groups when I was putting the spreadsheet together, so I've just got Bob Crosby as the vocal. The label does indeed say "& Quartet". Probably something I should address at some point.

18th Jun 2024, 5:21 PM#30  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Just played all the songs from Number 1 to 600.......So much information I didn't have.....Much appreciated.......Hope I'm not bothering you or being too picky.....It's usual for you to be spot on correct
Not at all - I'm very happy to be of help. And it's also good to have someone else checking my spreadsheet!

19th Jun 2024, 1:08 AM#31  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
You played 600 songs?!

19th Jun 2024, 8:16 AM#32  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
Yes !!!.....I'm now at 629.....I listen to the song to make sure there are no jumps etc and to make sure it is the right version and that the reproduction is OK.....It's only 31 hours !!!!!
mister_tmg wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
You played 600 songs?!

Edited by Mike Wilson1 on 19th Jun 2024, 8:58 AM

19th Jun 2024, 12:41 PM#33  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
At 701 now......Peter's list is excellent
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Yes !!!.....I'm now at 629.....I listen to the song to make sure there are no jumps etc and to make sure it is the right version and that the reproduction is OK.....It's only 31 hours !!!!!
mister_tmg wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
You played 600 songs?!

20th Jun 2024, 9:58 AM#34  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
At Number 800 now.......
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
Not at all - I'm very happy to be of help. And it's also good to have someone else checking my spreadsheet!

20th Jun 2024, 10:44 AM#35  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
At Number 800 now.......
You must be getting sick of 40s music at this point! Just having a look through the first 800 for any corrections I've made that might not have been obvious. Did you notice that No. 290 is credited in the book as Charlie Kunz Medley D49, but the catalogue number corresponds to Medley D44? The charting date isn't consistent with D49 (it wasn't released until Dec-41), so I've assumed the title must have been in error and gone with D44 (which was released Mar-41).

20th Jun 2024, 10:49 AM#36  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
No....I didn't know that.....Will make correction on my lists
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
At Number 800 now.......
You must be getting sick of 40s music at this point! Just having a look through the first 800 for any corrections I've made that might not have been obvious. Did you notice that No. 290 is credited in the book as Charlie Kunz Medley D49, but the catalogue number corresponds to Medley D44? The charting date isn't consistent with D49 (it wasn't released until Dec-41), so I've assumed the title must have been in error and gone with D44 (which was released Mar-41).

20th Jun 2024, 10:53 AM#37  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
At Number 800 now.......
I have the 78 of D44 so can send over a recording if you need it.

20th Jun 2024, 11:04 AM#38  REPORT  
Mike Wilson1

Musicologist
Member since Dec 2019
26 Points
It's OK....I have his No. 44.......I don't have "There I Go" - Jay Wilbur.
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
danceband91 wrote:
Mike Wilson1 wrote:
At Number 800 now.......
I have the 78 of D44 so can send over a recording if you need it.

20th Jun 2024, 2:22 PM#39  REPORT  
Pridesale

Member since Mar 2013
789 Points

Is this Bebe Daniels Vocal the Jay Wilbur There I Go that is sought, sorry no disc image found yet

20th Jun 2024, 3:52 PM#40  REPORT  
danceband91

Member since Nov 2020
118 Points
Pridesale wrote:

Is this Bebe Daniels Vocal the Jay Wilbur There I Go that is sought, sorry no disc image found yet
That's the Bebe Daniels version. The one that Mike's looking for (Rex 9987) has a vocal by Sam Browne.

Page 2 of 3  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

Add Reply

45cat Forums  :  45worlds Forums  : 

45worlds website ©2024  :  Homepage  :  Search  :  Sitemap  :  Help Page  :  Privacy  :  Terms  :  Contact  :  Share This Page  :  Like us on Facebook
Vinyl Albums  :  Live Music  :  78 RPM  :  CD Albums  :  CD Singles  :  12" Singles  :  7" Singles  :  Tape Media  :  Classical Music  :  Music Memorabilia  :  Cinema  :  TV Series  :  DVD & Blu-ray  :  Magazines  :  Books  :  Video Games  :  Create Your Own World
Latest  »  Items  :  Comments  :  Price Guide  :  Reviews  :  Ratings  :  Images  :  Lists  :  Videos  :  Tags  :  Collected  :  Wanted  :  Top 50  :  Random
45worlds for music, movies, books etc  :  45cat for 7" singles  :  45spaces for hundreds more worlds