7th May 2021, 3:46 PM#41  REPORT  
Jock_Girl

A girl who looks good in vinyl
Member since Dec 2012
1544 Points
Nice to see this topic bubble back to the top

Along the way I discovered this website

American 78s -- the last year

There are images of some insanely wild stuff there.

I do own one of the records on the person's list - its from 1965:
estell-vasser-and-the-joy-spreaders-i-love-to-call-jesus-music-city-78-t.jpg

Also along the way I have added a 1964 Pakistani HMV 78
suchitra-mitra--his-masters-voice-78-t.jpg

Amy

14th Jun 2021, 7:32 AM#42  REPORT  
Break-In Master

Member since Dec 2013
250 Points
Neil Forbes wrote:
Break-In Master wrote:
Neil Forbes wrote:
A question I must ask here. I keep seeing the word "Delta" used in reference to record numbers, is this word an alternative for "catalogue" or "matrix"? Pardon my(seeming) ignorance, but I've always used the words "catalogue"(actual issue number) or "matrix"(stamper number).

Over here, there was a pressing plant in California called, Monarch Record Mfg.. For every wax master they cut, they would assign a job number preceded by a triangle, which is the Greek letter, D, or Delta. Annaloog and I have a list on 45cat of the ones Anna has found. These numbers help collectors find more precise release dates for their records.

So these "Delta" numbers are not in any way related to the catalogue or matrix numbers then. Is that correct?

That is correct. A label may get master tapes for 5 or more singles ready at one time and send them all to Monarch (and other plants) to be pressed as singles. The labels assign their own catalogue and master numbers and the pressing plants will, likely, assign their own job numbers to each side. Not all of those singles were released at the same time, though (as far as I know). The label may have chosen to hold one back temporarily, so the Delta numbers wouldn't always be indicative of being released on a certain date. I mean, you can't claim in all cases that, say, Deltas 36241 through 36250 were all released on the same day or even week. Maybe one single in that set was held back for a month or so. So, it's not 100% accurate but it usually gets pretty close to the bullseye.
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I don't come here anywhere near as often as 45cat. Plus, I've not had Internet for the past 16 months and only just got back on 2 weeks ago. I got a LOT of catching up to do!!

Edited by moderator on 27th Jun 2021, 7:02 PM

31st Aug 2022, 12:29 PM#43  REPORT  
zabadak

Caddacack oh da ca-caddacack, shy shy skagellack
Member since Jun 2010
4117 Points
1964, does it count? :sideways:

wynken-blinken-and-nod-and-the-golden-rockatwisters-hi-diddle-diddle-twist-1964-78-t.jpg

3rd Sep 2022, 4:39 PM#44  REPORT  
Whyperion SUBS

Too Many Records , Too Little Time
Member since Jan 2013
306 Points
Would Ireland - being more rural - but low population - have later 78s , or were they discontinued earlier ?

3rd Sep 2022, 5:51 PM#45  REPORT  
KeithS SUBS

Member since Dec 2009
12385 Points
Talking of Ireland

9th Sep 2024, 6:47 PM#46  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
Daily Mail, Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Taking a vinyl bow

QUESTION What was the last recording
released as a 78rpm in the UK?

ANY flat record disc made between 1898 and the late 1950s and playing at a speed around 78 revolutions per minute is called a 78 by collectors.
Most 78s are made of brittle shellac resin material - hence their other name: shellac records.
The 78rpm's demise came when the light and durable 45pm discs arrived in the 1950s. The last 78rpm recording issued by EMI group (HMV/Parlophone/Columbia labels) - Russ Conway's Rule Britannia and Royal Event - appeared in British shops on February 19, 1960, with the green ten-inch Columbia label (catalogue DB 4418).
It was an appropriate end to the 78 era, a recording by a popular pianist. The very first British recording back in 1898 had also been of a piano solo.
But this was not the last commercial 78 to be issued in the UK.
Woolworths continued to issue its own brand of Embassy records and it was possible to buy titles on this label until at least 1961 in Britain.
The last one I've found, in 45 years of collecting, is by evergreen singer Rikki Henderson singing Strawberry Blonde and Portrait Of My Love on Embassy WB 431.
Some 78s continued to be made and were sold in Britain until at least 1968, but these were children's records. Although not commercially available, TV and film companies had 'mood-music' recordings made for them on 78pm records. These were produced until at least 1968 and used on radio and TV until the 1990s.
Since then, special 78rpm recordings have been made. One of the first was by Tiny Tim accompanied by Harry Roy and his band in 1969, singing There'll Always Be An England. This revival idea has been repeated several times since but I don't consider such material to be a proper scratchy old 78.
Production of 78pm records continued in various countries abroad, such as India, and it is
to buy commercial 78s featuring the likes of The Beatles.
David Moore,
Dinosaur Discs, www.78pm.co.uk,
Norwich.

[Picture of Russ Conway]
[CAPTION] End of era: The last 78pm record issued by EMI was by Russ Conway

9th Sep 2024, 7:22 PM#47  REPORT  
KeithS SUBS

Member since Dec 2009
12385 Points
A comment in July 1960 about the UK record industry

Most releases are 45rpm only which are later supplemented by 78rpm discs if the issue seems to become a runaway hit

and in June 1961 it was reported that only 169,000 78's were produced during the month - the majority for export

Edited by KeithS on 9th Sep 2024, 8:02 PM

10th Sep 2024, 1:01 AM#48  REPORT  
mister_tmg

Also on 78rpm
Member since Apr 2012
1117 Points
That’s interesting. There weren’t any new UK 78s issued after January 1961, so the majority would be for export, or possibly new pressings of catalogue releases.

Page 3 of 3  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

Add Reply

45cat Forums  :  45worlds Forums  : 

45worlds website ©2024  :  Homepage  :  Search  :  Sitemap  :  Help Page  :  Privacy  :  Terms  :  Contact  :  Share This Page  :  Like us on Facebook
Vinyl Albums  :  Live Music  :  78 RPM  :  CD Albums  :  CD Singles  :  12" Singles  :  7" Singles  :  Tape Media  :  Classical Music  :  Music Memorabilia  :  Cinema  :  TV Series  :  DVD & Blu-ray  :  Magazines  :  Books  :  Video Games  :  Create Your Own World
Latest  »  Items  :  Comments  :  Price Guide  :  Reviews  :  Ratings  :  Images  :  Lists  :  Videos  :  Tags  :  Collected  :  Wanted  :  Top 50  :  Random
45worlds for music, movies, books etc  :  45cat for 7" singles  :  45spaces for hundreds more worlds